Based in Canberra, Australia
March 25, 2008
ROM CHECK FAIL is a glitchy mash-up of 8 and 16 bit classics. Every few seconds the game fritzes and randomises its elements, so as you leap as Mario to stomp a Space Invader, you might suddenly transform into Pac Man above a spinning Asteroid.
ROM CHECK FAIL was made over three weeks for the TIGSource Video Game Name Generator (VGNG) competition. It was originally intended as a video game generator itself, which would create games whose names matched output from the as per the contest's requirements. As with all good projects, ROM CHECK FAIL strayed from its charted course and abandoned the VGNG requirement, arguably precluding itself from entry into the contest, which it won.
- Link, Mario, Pac-Man, and the player vehicles from Space Invaders, Defender, Spy Hunter, and Asteroids, face off against Goombas, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Arkanoid bricks, Pang balls, Gauntlet ghosts and Qix
- Player and enemy characters change up every few seconds
- Authentic re-implementation of all fourteen characters
- Background environments also change up, featuring Super Mario Bros, Moon Patrol, Pac Man, Arkanoid, Spy Hunter, Pang, and Bomberman
- 34 music tracks, featuring tunes from Asteroids, Bubble Bobble, Donkey Kong, Double Dragon, Galaga, Galaxian, Marble Madness, Super Mario Bros, Moon Patrol, Pac Man, Rodland, Spy Hunter, Tetris, Wonderboy, and The Legend of Zelda
- 31 end screens
- Unapologetically loud and glitchy
Eurogamer LP YouTube
There are currently no screenshots available for ROM CHECK FAIL. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for ROM CHECK FAIL. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "Gamasutra's Best Of 2008" Top 5 Indie Games
- "TIGSource Video Game Name Generator Contest" Winner
- "When I look at ROM CHECK FAIL I suspect one day we may know all the answers."
- Kieron Gillen, Rock Paper Shotgun
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Farbs (A.K.A Jarrad Woods) is an independent game developer whose games often involve construction and, apparently, deconstruction.
More information on Farbs, our logo & relevant media are available here.
ROM CHECK FAIL Credits
A Million Other People Who Have Graciously Not Sued Farbs